Below is a list of references and resources, not exhaustive but, hopefully, sufficiently complete, on long term preservation .
Web sites :
- Groupe PIN (Pérennisation de l’Information numérique) : http://pin.association-aristote.fr/
- Archivage électronique au Service Interministériel des Archives de France: https://francearchives.fr/fr/
- Conservation électronique à la Library of Congress : http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/
- Digital Curation Centre : http://www.dcc.ac.uk/
- Digital Preservation Europe : http://www.digitalpreservationeurope.eu/
- DRAMBORA (Digital repository audit method based on risk assessment) : http://www.repositoryaudit.eu/
- Method of audit repository based on the management of risks related to electronic archiving.
- Planets Testbed : http://testbed.planets-project.eu/t… Analysis tool providing well-documented and solid recommendations to help in choosing a strategy for preservation planning.
- CASPAR (Cultural, Artistic and Scientific Knowledge for Preservation, Access and Retrieval) : http://www.casparpreserves.eu
- Alliance for Permanent Access : http://www.alliancepermanentaccess.eu/
Standards and other downloadable resources online:
- OAIS version 1 (French) – 2005 : http://pin.association-aristote.fr/…
OAIS version 2 – magenta book (in english) – 2012 : http://public.ccsds.org/publication…
- AFNOR NF Z42-013 –Recommendations for the design and operation of computer systems to ensure the conservation and integrity of documents stored in such systems. March 2009.
The AFNOR NF Z 42-013 is the result of a work that brought together the French professionals of the GED (electronic document management).. It supports all the requirements of the French legislative context on the probative value of electronic documents.It establishes technical and organizational measures, accurate and binding to implement for recording, storage and retrieval of electronic documents to ensure preservation and integrity.
Since its release in March 2009, the standard does not recognize just the WORM physical: She now tolerates WORM logical provided that the rewritable media offer the same guarantees of integrity comparable to physical WORM. The scope of documents covered by the standard has also been extended to natively digital documents as well as audio and video. The founding principles of the EAS are recalled (archiving policy, sustainability, integrity, etc..), And the notion of archiving profile appears.From a technical standpoint, the standard establishes a diary of the life cycle of archive, event logs, and provides more details on the timestamp.
- Dublin Core : http://dublincore.org/
- PREMIS – v2.2 – 2012 : http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/
Preservation data dictionary.
- PAIMAS – red book – 2002 : http://pin.association-aristote.fr/…
Standard ISO in 2006 (ISO 20652:2006) : http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/catalogue…
Just as the OAIS model, the international standard PAIMAS– Producer-Archive Interface Methodology Standard Abstract – is the result of a work driven by the CCSDS.Falling directly within the OAIS, the standard PAIMAS is a methodological guide for the conduct of formal exchanges between producers and an archive (term by which the OAIS designate the archive system as a whole).The real experiences of digital archives have revealed that one of the great difficulties in establishing a long term preservation is the noncompliance of digital objects provided as input to the archive system. These difficulties are themselves rooted in the lack of preparatory work between producer and archive.The objective of PAIMAS is to overcome this deficiency by proposing a structured dialogue beforehand.
- TRAC (Trustworthy Repositories Audit & Certification: Criteria and Checklist) – Février 2007 : http://www.crl.edu/sites/default/fi… Checklist for audit and certification of an electronic long term preservation.
- Standard d’échange de données DAF/DGME – update in september 2012 : https://francearchives.fr/fr/
The data exchange standard for archiving (SEDA) is a joint undertaking of Direction des archives de France (actuel SIAF : Service Interministériel des Archives de France) and Direction générale pour la modernisation de l’État (DGME). It is for the French administration in order to provide a normative framework for the various exchanges of information between archives and their partners. It can model transactions between actors in the context of archiving data. The first version (0.1), published in 2006, was replaced in January 2010 by a second version (0.2), and in setptember 2012 by a 1.0 version, enriched by utilisation returns of services
- Politique et pratiques d’archivage (P2A) – 2006 : http://www.ssi.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/Arch…
The P2A was published in July 2006, at the initiative of the Direction des Archives de France (DAF newly renamed SIAF: Service des Archives de France Inter), and Direction générale pour la modernisation de l’État (DGME) and Direction centrale de la sécurité des systèmes d’information (DCSSI). It addresses the public sphere and the field of secure electronic archive by defining a number of minimum requirements (legal, functional, operational, technical and safety) to stand in an archiving policy (PA). The archiving policy must be accompanied with a declaration of archiving practices (DPA) which specifies how the authority archive replies to the objectives and commitments set by the PA.
- Record Management ISO 15489-1:2001 : http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/catalogue…
- Moreq2 – mise à jour 2008 :
ISO 15489 (Records Management) and the European document MoReq2 are the result of work carried out by professional archiving workers.Both are imbued with the Anglo-Saxon archiving process, designed and implemented early in the lifecycle of the document.These two documents are perfectly adapted to the context of archiving of digital objects for which they provide very valuable recommendations.
Books and printed publications:
« Archivage et stockage pérennes : enjeux et réalisations (Traité des Sciences et Techniques de l’Information) » sous la dir. de Corinne Leblond ; Lavoisier : Paris, 2009, 222 pages.
« L’archivage numérique à long terme : Les débuts de la maturité ? » par Françoise BANAT-BERGER, Laurent DUPLOUY et Claude HUC ; La Documentation française : Paris, 2009, 288 pages.
« Pérenniser le document numérique : séminaire INRIA, 2-6 octobre 2006 », ADBS, 2006, 206 pages.
See also : L’archivage pérenne des documents numériques (article paru dans la Gazette du CINES n°20 – décembre 2008, format PDF)